Men's 1's up and running for the season after 3-2 win at Harleston

Watton - 3

Magpies - 2

Enjoying the beautiful sunshine before the downpour, the men put on a dominant showing to get their first win of the season.

After a cagey first 5 minutes Watton settled and then dominated, camped in the Harleston half and passing the ball at will. Carving and opening up the opposition but unable to find a clinical touch in front of goal. Watton won a short corner as the whistle blew for the end of the half, and cometh the hour cometh the man, with Sean Billington hammering home into the bottom left corner!

A 1-0 half time lead that should have been 5 or 6.

After the break the men found the cutting edge, with Daniel Rix smashing home a second and Sean firing home his second and Watton's third from all of a yard out.

Watton 3-0 up and cruising, so you may wonder how we ended up winning 3-2?

Harleston didn't give up without a fight and also had a little help from 2 Watton players. Henry Garner getting a 2 minute trip to the naughty step for an accidental trip. Then within a minute of coming back on Henry took a longer trip to the naughty step for the same offence on the same player.... the fines committee rubbing their hands together with this 2 card performance!

During this time keeper Bob Fleming had become bored of his role and decided to indulge in his fantasies of becoming Cristiano Ronaldo.

After Harleston hit the post from a short corner Bob expertly back heeled the rebound into the goal his first own goal of the season. Mere minutes later an innocuous looking cross/shot was expertly mis-kicked, aiming for the sideline but somehow finding his own bottom corner again.... own goal 2. Oh dear...

With little time left Harleston pressed for the equaliser but good defensive work from Steven Gayle and Tom Hassy, with Aaron Pointer patrolling the midfield kept them at bay.

Calm heads prevailed and Watton were able to comfortably play out the last five minutes and record their first win this year.

Over an excellent post match tea (credit must go to Harleston for the excellent sausages provided!) It was decided that Henry and Bob could not be separated for DOD and received a joint award.

Rather inexplicably MOM went to Mike Farrow, despite his own insistence that he had really done nothing all game Onwards and upwards to next weeks game.